Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Feature Artist: Bliss Soybean Candles

What is your shop name and what do you sell? I have two Etsy shops! My main shop is Bliss Soybean Candles and Gifts which sells high end, decorative soy candles in jars, teas, gift sets, and the occasional votive. My other shop, Posies for Lewis, sells photography.

What is your shop URL? http://blisscandles.etsy.com http://posiesforlewis.etsy.com

When did you start selling on Etsy? Back in 2007. I actually gave up after a few months in 2007 and then came back in 2008, learned the “tricks of the trade,” and began to do very well. Posies for Lewis opened in 2008.

What is your favorite thing about Etsy? There are so many! Etsy has such a wonderful range of artists. Where else can you go and buy a $2 item or a $2000 item, both of which are fantastic?! I love turning people on to Etsy. From the seller side of things, the buyers are high caliber. I have sold on other sites as well and I just find the experience with Etsy buyers to be top notch! I also love the teams I am on. People are so wonderful and supportive. It is fun to create treasuries, network, blog, and all of that good stuff.

What is your favorite thing about what you sell? I have to admit I am one of my biggest fans. I have always been a candle addict – especially soy because it is just so much healthier and performs so much better than other waxes. I often tell people if you can’t afford to buy from me, at least promise me you will buy soy. I am so proud of my items because I know the quality is top notch and I love almost every single one of my 140+ fragrances! Sorry…I just can’t stand Patchouli and Clove…not my thingJ I’m all about the food, Fall, and Christmas fragrances making this my favorite time of year! I love to put fun gift sets together and am always keeping my eyes open to see if my suppliers have added any new jars or lids.

What is your favorite item in your own shop and why? Oh dear! That’s tough. I LOVE my bigger jars. The Premium 16 oz jars are my fave because of the rusty lids. However, being a candle addict, a girl needs more candle than that so I make the 26 oz for myself! My favorite fragrances are Pumpkin Souffle, Pumpkin Spice, Vanilla Hazelnut Pumpkin, Cozy Home, Cinnamon Buns, Cinnamon Spice, Cool Citrus Basil, Spiced Apple Pecan, Energy, Coconut Bay (new!), Caramelized Pralines, Victorian Christmas, Twigs of Spruce, Balsam and Spice, and Pumpkin Pie. I have several more but those are ones I can’t do without!

What teams do you belong to? Etsy West Michigan, Interior Design Team/Design Style Guide, Cruelty Free Etsy, MICE, and Cottage Style. All are wonderful teams!

What is the most fun thing you do to promote your shop? I do so many things. I love to comment in Treasuries and create them. I am just never home any more when they open up! I like to talk in the Forums. My new favorite is doing Etsy Shop features on my blog (http://blisscandles.blogspot.com) and MySpace page. I am always developing promotional materials. I have the best time with this because I create my own stuff and send it off to VistaPrint and it looks like I paid big bucks – too cool! Yes, I am a computer nerd.

What are some of your favorite finds by other sellers on Etsy? I have so many! I love Serendipity’s stuff – always have: http://anneball.etsy.com. I found a handbag shop that is way cool: http://daphnenen.etsy.com. Dennis Anderson is very inspirational and has wonderful products. He has been so successful on Etsy that he quit his job!: http://dennisanderson.etsy.com.

What do you do in your spare time? Ha! I don’t have spare time. I have been making time to go to the beach lately though and it is time to start thinking about raking leaves and cleaning up the yard.11. Do you have anything else you would like to share? I highly encourage people to shop and sell on Etsy. The sellers and buyers are wonderful and the products are outstanding. If you are a seller, don’t give up. Learn the tricks and eventually it will pay off!

No comments: