Monday, May 17, 2010

Members Monday: YellowHorseArtStudio


Welcome our new featured seller, Anneke from Yellow Horse Art Studio!


Tell us a bit about yourself and your shop.
I am a mom of 2 under 3; my kids are 18 months apart and keep me on my toes. I am home with them all day and then switch off w/ my husband and go to work at a hardware store as their PM kitchen designer a couple of nights a week and usually Saturdays. My shop is newer on Etsy, but I hope that it will reflect the diverse nature of the products that we can produce. I started by listing my stuffed animals, because I have gotten such good feedback on them. We design our own patterns for everything we post on Etsy, since I have yet to find any pre-fab ones that I like (without alterations) from anywhere. We also plan on adding my wood- and linoleum-cut stamp cards and possibly some of my photography from around the country.

What are you currently working on?
We are working on expanding our shop and our product line. We started at Christmas with only our "Herd" dangle ponies, which aren't even listed on our Etsy page (only our Facebook page), and moved on to "Blue" ponies and "Jack" rabbits (with feedback from our friends), and then the tag-alongs ("suggested" by my daughter). Our newest animal, "Max" the frog, was actually a custom request from a friend, but when 3 other people asked for one, he was added to our prodcut list. Outside the shop, I will soon be starting to work on a wood-cut piece for ArtPrize this fall - I am a registered artist currently in search of a venue.


What do you like to do in your free time outside of your business?
Free time? Where did that go? I love to garden in our small yard with our kids and just be outside - take walks and hike. I used to do a lot more solo hiking, before the kids came along, in some very rustic places - Point Reyes, CA and the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC, just to name a couple - but now with 2 in tow, we stick to paved trails (read as: playgrounds).

Where would you like to see your shop and business in a year?
We are hoping to get into a few craft shows before and during the ArtPrize contest to help promote our piece and link our sales of other product with that. By next year, I would like be able to do several spring and fall craft shows with multiple around the holidays. We are just starting to get together lists of local shows, and would welcome any suggestions. I feel like my business is on "simmer" right now with my kids being still at home all day, but it's still very important to keep stirring until I can move it to a more powerful burner - hopefully in 3-4 yrs.

  

Where can we find you online and/or locally?
Right now we are planning to be at the West Michigan Moms Sale at the DeltaPlex in September, and Christmas Through Lowell in November. We are looking to pick up another show possibly in August or October to fill in the gaps. Online you can find Yellow Horse Art Studio here: